August 16, 2011

Pesto Tortellini with Grilled Chicken


 




I love pesto.

What's not to love?

Basil. Yes, please.

Olive oil. Uh huh.

Garlic. Well, if you must.

Pine nuts. Of course.






Do I make my own pesto? Uhhh..no. Will I someday when I plant my dream garden? Maybe. Until then I am going to settle for store bought or the generosity of my neighbors.              
(ignore this subtle hint if you do not live in my subdivision)

It's Chicken Week!, and I've had a hankering for something pesto, so I decided to play my hand at creating a little dish that would marry the two. I came up with Pesto Tortellini and Grilled Chicken. 
I think you'll like it. It was soooo easy to make, and really took no time at all.
 
 Here's what you'll need:

Pesto Tortellini with Grilled Chicken

3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
capable man, optional (to grill your chicken so you don't have to go out in the elements)
1 large pkg. tortellini, frozen or fresh
1 small container of pesto
Parmesan, shaved

Place the chicken breasts in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Turn the breasts over and repeat. Cover and let them marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour. 

Prepare your tortellini according to the package directions. You'll also want to start grilling chicken at this time. Grill your chicken on medium-low heat for about 7 minutes on each side, or until the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Once done, let the chicken rest for about five minutes on a plate tented with foil. Then slice long ways. 

In a good sized mixing bowl, stir the pesto and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add your prepared tortellini and combine gently. You don't want to be too rough with your tortellini, their sensitive. Now place your pesto tortellini on a serving platter, and top with grilled chicken and shaved Parmesan. 



Ain't she lovely? I am going to take the humble liberty of saying that this dish
was quite the crowd pleaser.   

Here's what my focus group had to say about it: 

Hungry Man:  Wow, Beth! This could be on Olive Garden's Menu.  It's that good.  
(Oh yeah. We're fancy like that.)

Hungry Boy #1: This is super awesome! What is it? 

Hungry Boy #2:  Good supper mama. (He says that every night.)

Disclaimer: I should probably tell you that this group would be happy with a bag of microwave popcorn for dinner. But, the good news is for some reason the under four crowd didn't care that the pasta had green stuff on it. I was worried that this would be a deal breaker. So, I wish you the same luck.



Next Up:

Rachel's Creamy White Chicken Chili


 Filling out my Olive Garden Culinary Institute Application right now....

0 comments:

About Me

Must Love Blogs

Find It Here

Barefoot Contessa (1) Ben (12) breakfast (1) Chicken (6) Chili (1) Comfort Food (2) decor (1) Dessert (1) Dinner (5) family (1) Harrison (10) lamps (1) Makeovers (1) Naps (1) Paula Deen (1) pinterest (1) plates (1) Recipes (5) Renegade Turtles (1) Sides (1) Soup (2) summer (1) Tea (1) The Boys (7) yogurt (1)

Visits

Pin Me!

Search This Blog

Like Me! Please.